About Us History Our Beliefs Staff About Us Our Leaders Ministries Ministries Childrens Church and Junior Church Clothing Ministry Craft Ministry Junior High Youth Ministry Missions Ministry Pioneer Club Second Harvest Food Bank Carnival Ministry Senior High Youth Ministry 50's Group Sermons Get Involved Connect Events Community Bulletins Contact Giving History Our History Our church was inaugurated in Mecca Township, Ohio, on December 5, 1822. On December 6, 1822, a meeting was held to establish the church and it was agreed by the nine charter members in attendance that they would adopt the Confession of Faith, Covenant, and Articles of Practice as used by the Grand River and Portage Presbyteries at that time. The church is the oldest religious organization in the Township of Mecca. The name of the church was changed to the Congregational Church of Mecca prior to 1841 when it was decided that they and the Free Will Baptist Church would yoke together to construct one church building. It would be used in an equal fashion by both denominations. The building was constructed on what is now St. Rt. 46 in Mecca and dedicated in the fall of 1842 with the bell being hung on December 1, 1860. The Free Will Baptist Church terminated their services in the building sometime after 1876. For many years the pulpit was filled by Hiram divinity students for lack of a permanent pastor. In the 1950’s the church body decided to build a parsonage to house a full time pastor and his family. At this time, Mecca Community Church went into partnership with the Greene Community Church to share a pastor each Sunday. By 1975, there was urgency for larger facilities to meet the needs of the growing congregation. On October 3, 1978 a loan was secured to purchase thirty four acres of land on Phillips-Rice Road. The loan was paid off in a short period of time. On February 16, 1984 a loan was taken out to build the present church building. A ground breaking ceremony was held on May 6, 1984 and the building was dedicated on September 29, 1985. The stained glass window of Jesus in the garden and the original bell placed at the old church in 1860 are in place at the new church along with the pulpit and several other items that had been used for many years. In 1989 a family room was added. The loan was paid off in 1998 at which time a mortgage burning ceremony was held. The original church on State Route 46 served as a free clothing ministry which was open to the public. An estimated 2,000 persons frequented the ministry each year. In the fall of 2006 the original church was purchased by Randy Guyette of Eagle Creek Designs, Inc. The deconstruction of the church began in the winter of 2006. Shortly thereafter, the building was sold to Hiram College and reconstructed as the residence for the Garfield Institute for Public Leadership. The original Mecca Community Church can be seen, beautifully restored, on the corner of State Routes 305, 82, and 700 (across from the historic Hiram Inn).